Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Are we there yet? Weight rant

The past 6 months have really been a blur-so much in fact that I did not realize that it had been six months already.  Everything has gone great with the pregnancy so far (glucose test is at the end of the week) but in letting the time get away from me I haven't really been taking care of myself like I wanted to.  I've gotten so caught up on what's going on inside that I haven't paid attention to what's going on outside.  Back before this all started, I was on a roll as far as my discipline with what I ate and working out.  I felt great physically as well and I was certain that I would be that person running throughout my entire pregnancy.  That thought was out the window at week five.  Honestly, I don't know how safe it would be to start up now. 


I was supposed to be walking and doing this prenatal yoga dvd that was loaned to me but the truth is none of that has been done.  I figured walking would frustrate me because it took so long to do (running is so much quicker) plus cold, dark evenings have also been a great excuse for me not working out.  I was totally OK with that because I had been eating pretty much the same things I was eating pre pregnancy-I just wasn't exercising. 


Then March came...and last night, my dear, sweet husband and I were cheering on one our favorite college basketball teams (the VCU RAMS) and I asked him to take a picture of me in my gear.  Enter: regret!  I wish I had not done that.  I hadn't specified that neck up was sufficient for this photo and boy do I wish I had.  I didn't realize how (excuse me) fat I had gotten!  My face has gotten fat-even my shoulders are fat!  How one gets a fat shoulder is a mystery to me.  The fact that I previously had to buy larger undergarments should have served as an indicator but I ignored that of course.  Although I was fired up and so happy that my team came out with a win on Monday night sending them on their way to the "Big Dance"-I really wished I could turn back time and get a do over.  

This is not how I want to remember my first pregnancy.  I would love to enforce a no photos rule for upcoming baby showers and am really wondering if I really want to take maternity photos. 


I don't want to gain another pound but of course as the baby grows, so will I and I have three months until I am due.  To this point, my doctor has not been concerned with my weight gain but I have exceeded the one pound a week rule by far!  I recall asking about the weight gain at the ten week mark and my doctor didn't see it as an issue so I let it go.  Literally.   

I am going to try and go forward and be as active as I can within reason (since we are coming down to the wire here) and continue to eat what's right and cut out what's bad.  This means a no pizza rule from here on out-sorry Babe.  (I hadn't told him yet) 

Let's see if I can take some time in between my eagerness and excitement for Baby R to get here for myself.  At this stage in the game I think its moot but....we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Shaunnie,

    I love your post and I love your honesty. Please enjoy this pregnancy and take all the pics that you can because once the baby gets here and you are back to you (which you will be) you will wish you had more pics to look back at and say "wow look at me then" and tell Avery how she did that to you.
    Secondly nursing your baby is the best weight loss remedy ever. You will love the time with her and the baby weight will fall off (literally). With your discipline and I don't see you having any issues. I wish I could be more like you. My baby is 7 and I am still working off my baby weight and some. I love you cousin, call if you need anything. -----Jasmine P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I'm glad you commented on my blog. Sometimes finding someone to relate to his hard. I gained a crap ton of weight with my pregnancy and avoided maternity photo session - and I kind of regret that. I gained 50 pounds! I too thought I'd be that preggo that was running at like 8 months pregnant. Um, reality check. No way! Glad to be reading and sharing. You are gorgeous, before, then and now :)

    ReplyDelete